[development] Is DRUPAL-5 branch necessary for module?

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Tue Jan 23 18:20:57 UTC 2007

On Tuesday, 23. January 2007 18:54, andrew morton wrote:
> On 1/23/07, drupaladmin at misterwhipple.com <drupaladmin at misterwhipple.com>
wrote:
> > If someone tells CVS "give me the DRUPAL-5 branch", they'll always get
> > the latest thing in that branch unless they specify a release tag, right?
>
> Yeah, but then if you've put in lots of fixes on the DRUPAL-5 branch
> you'll have to pull them up to HEAD before you start working on
> updating your module for Drupal 6. And it's usually a little while
> before a Drupal 5 compatible module stops working with the next
> version. It's not really not a huge issue but it is an annoyance.

I guess the real fix would be to make the MAIN branch optional, and only use
it when doing unstable stuff on the current-release branch (DRUPAL-5). In
which case MAIN should be branched from DRUPAL-5, not the other way round,
with the changes merged back to DRUPAL-5 when they're stable, and MAIN being
extinguished until a new unstable change is up.

But yeah, I have to admit that this seems quite impossible with CVS.
If Drupal ever migrates to Subversion, I can bring this up again :)