[development] Is DRUPAL-5 branch necessary for module?

andrew morton drewish at katherinehouse.com
Tue Jan 23 17:54:16 UTC 2007

On 1/23/07, drupaladmin at misterwhipple.com <drupaladmin at misterwhipple.com> wrote:
> But, why bother updating HEAD at all? If a module has no Drupal 6
> development going on, can't all updates be made just to DRUPAL-5, and HEAD
> ignored? I got the impression that single-Drupal-version development of a
> module could confine all its updates to the one branch..
>
> If someone tells CVS "give me the DRUPAL-5 branch", they'll always get the
> latest thing in that branch unless they specify a release tag, right?

Yeah, but then if you've put in lots of fixes on the DRUPAL-5 branch
you'll have to pull them up to HEAD before you start working on
updating your module for Drupal 6. And it's usually a little while
before a Drupal 5 compatible module stops working with the next
version. It's not really not a huge issue but it is an annoyance.