[development] Is DRUPAL-5 branch necessary for module?

_craig drupal-list at 2craig.com
Wed Jan 24 00:47:08 UTC 2007

Great discussion.  Here's what I'm seeing:

Branch EARLY - Branch as soon as development begins on a new version.
E1. Convention and consistency require branching early
E2. CVS downloader's prefer branches

Branch LATE - Tag in MAIN and Branch only when needed (bugfixes, etc.)
L1. Saves work for module developers with only 1 branch to maintain

Although it's not really enforced, E1 alone convinces me to Branch EARLY.
With hundreds of modules available Convention and Consistency rule the day.

Craig