[development] Drag and Drop UI standards

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Wed Jan 24 19:25:41 UTC 2007

On Jan 24, 2007, at 11:44 AM, Ken Rickard wrote:

> I've been working on one for my project, using the interface jQuery
> plug-in, and have a two simple questions:
>
> 1) Do we have any best-practice guidelines on using drag-and-drop?
>
> 2) Specifically, if the action requires saving the state change,
> should that save be automatic (on-drop) or user initiated (extra
> button or link on-click)?

My feeling from a UI perspective is that it could do either, but that
it has to be clear.

For example, as soon as you start to drag an object, the screen might
turn colors and a [save this layout] button might appear on the
bottom right of the screen, along with a [cancel] button.

There should also be an undo ability, ideally with a button. If an
undo is done, then a redo button should also be offered.

If, on the other hand, each move is saved, then there's the question
of alerting the user that this new position is permanent unless undone.

In other words, the user should have positive feedback with clear
next-step guidance, and error forgiveness.

imho....

Laura