[development] Drag and Drop UI standards

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Fri Jan 26 06:01:04 UTC 2007

On Thursday 25 January 2007 9:55 am, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
> Syscrusher wrote:
> > Drupal core,
>
> This is currently discusses as a contrib module.
>
> > I would want it to work correctly with all the browsers used by
> > significant numbers of Drupal users: Firefox, Konqueror, Safari, Opera,
> > and (unfortunately) Internet Exploder.
>
> Here are the drupal.org browserstats of the current month:
>
> Firefox  58.2 %
> IE       25.1 %
> Safari    3.9 %
> Opera     3.7 %
> Mozilla   3.2 %
> Unknown   2.8 %
> Konqueror 0.9 %
>
> So, the relevance of Konqueror could be argued against.
>

> Cheers,
> 	Gerhard

I don't know about their numbers, but jQuery does not consider Konqueror a
target browser because its market is so small and none of the core developers
use it.  Safari is, but not Konqueror.  That said, I've found most stuff does
work in Konqueror just fine with a few exceptions (like those listed here).

I am biased since I use Konqueror myself at home, but a "jqinterface" module
that provided a wrapper for the jQuery Interface library would, ideally, fix
any outstanding Konqueror bugs.  Those fixes would be send back upstream to
the jQuery folks.  I would be surprised if they didn't accept them, unless
they broke something else.

(Note: I don't know what the licensing issues there would be with doing that,
since Drupal is GPL and jQuery/Interface is MIT/GPL.  I'm just pointing out a
place where the projects could benefit from each other's slightly different
focuses.)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012