[development] breadcrumbs

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Sun Jan 28 23:10:56 UTC 2007

On Sunday 28 January 2007 4:59 pm, Jeremy Epstein wrote:

> I agree with Dries on this one. My view has always been that "the menu
> hierarchy" is the one-and-only logical reference model for Drupal's
> navigation system. All of the various navigational elements on a site
> - e.g. side-block nav menus, breadcrumbs, pri/sec links, TOC links,
> prev/next/up page links - should merely be visual representations of
> this single logical reference model. If any of these visual elements
> are inconsistent with each other, that merely serves to confuse the
> user, and to blur the site's hierarchy.

Agreed.  The only place where I've found that doesn't make sense is when
there's an index page involved.  Eg, I don't want to put all "product" nodes
into the menu directly, but want a breadcrumb and menu parent of the product
index page (which is a view or panels or whatever).  That I can usually hack
around with menu_set_location() and friends.  An API would be nicer, if it
was flexible enough.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012