[development] Drupal 6 release schedule

Victor Kane victorkane at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 22:53:29 UTC 2007

On 1/31/07, Robert Douglass <rob at robshouse.net> wrote:
> Victor Kane wrote:
> > I would say
> > that I denote a slight contradiction between some of the thorny issues
> > being debated on this list (everything is a node vs. don't overload
> > node hook system; developing an orthogonal API for the various API's,
> > etc., etc., etc.,), and starting a code freeze in four months. I just
> > don't see these being resolved in four months.
> Not all the theoretical debates will be resolved in 4 months. The things
> you just mentioned are ongoing discussions. The current changes that are
> happening to the menu system started off as such a debate, and got
> architected months ago at a conference while we were still trying to get
> Drupal 5 going. D6 will see its share of improvements, both on the
> front-end and the back-end, and it is good to have a release every year
> to make sure we get to a stable point (ie focus on real bug fixing).
> Maybe we'll get some of those issues you mentioned into D6, maybe not.
> Waiting too long between releases is very bad, though, because the chasm
> between versions becomes unmanageable.
>
> Welcome to Drupal =)

I really appreciate being filled in like this.
It is clear to me from what you say that the major releases are
important development iterations and that you guys have given all of
this a lot of consideration.

Hope I can make it to Sunnyvale in March!

In any case, I am planning on putting my shoulder to the wheel as well
as giving my opinion. :)  I have proposed and had Drupal accepted on a
couple of quite important projects, and the small team we have
assigned, for example, to an educational project, will have to solve
all manner of problems with Drupal 5, and there will definitely be
some modules for jquery interface library, on the one hand, and access
and roles stuff, on the other.

So thanks, I am definitely here for the long haul.

Victor Kane
http://awebfactory.com.ar