[development] taking a break

Fernando Silva fsilva.pt at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 20:36:57 UTC 2007

On 7/1/07, Chad Phillips -- Apartment Lines <chad at apartmentlines.com> wrote:
> Nedjo wrote:
>
>> There are very few members of our community who consistently meet these
>> measures. Dries is one of them, and Drupal's success is due insignificant
>> measure to that fact.
>
> i agree.  but let me suggest that there's a bit of a self-fulfilling
> prophecy going on here.  i think more members of the community could
> meet the measures you outlined, if they were given the chance to
> assume the responsibility, make some mistakes, and learn.

Just to name a few:
* more chx involvement
* Bèr being taken more seriously
* more support for decision made by robertDouglass and Kjartan

Anyway, the problem taking more people into core development is that
there is not a "clear roadmap" to accept new core developers. The
current situation can be resumed in some steps:
* a developer starts using and developing drupal
* until that developer makes some real good module (that should be in
core) or "extraordinary something" it will not be "accepted" into core
even if he lives to patch bugs
* after acception based in meritocracy, there exists a small democracy
based on "influence"
* finally there is a monarchy to "rule them all"

These are the facts and, before anything else, one thing must be said:
in this exact moment Drupal lives well, has fantastic developers and a
guy that knows how to rule.

So where is the problem? Nowhere! There is no problem... yet. And is
this small "yet" that should make some of the more influent guys
around here think about.

Will Drupal community wait for a real problem, to solve it, or prepare
the vaccine before the disease comes?