[development] book patch impact

andrew morton drewish at katherinehouse.com
Sun Jul 1 22:47:41 UTC 2007

On 7/1/07, Gabor Hojtsy <gabor at hojtsy.hu> wrote:
> Well, no wonder people are/were confused. All of Dries' comments about
> the resulting code/UI not being a generic outliner were said in the
> issue, while it was marketed under the following title:
>
>    make book module into a better "outliner"
>
> This was renamed two days ago in comment #121 to:
>
>    improve book module: use nodeapi and menu API
>
> with the comment: "Changing title as I should have done at about #63 above".
>
> If people don't understand what it does, or if they put higher
> expectations against it, it does have a lot to do with how the patch was
> marketed...

To be fair to Peter, he started out with the goal of making a better
outliner. But in comment #33 Dries told him to do less with the patch
and focus on "Proper integration with the menu system." He's been
continually scaling the patch back since then trying to find some
patch that would be committable. Now has arrived at the very modest
goal of simply cleaning up the book module.

andrew