[development] book patch impact

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Sun Jul 1 16:03:40 UTC 2007

Peter Wolanin wrote:
> Dear Gabor,
>
> I think there is considerable confusion about what the book patch *does*
> do.
>
> I encourage everyone who is unsure at this point to look at the
> summary a wrote last night and note that many people who are on the
> documentation team (as I am) have supported the changes.
>
> http://drupal.org/node/146425#comment-267769

Well, no wonder people are/were confused. All of Dries' comments about
the resulting code/UI not being a generic outliner were said in the
issue, while it was marketed under the following title:

   make book module into a better "outliner"

This was renamed two days ago in comment #121 to:

   improve book module: use nodeapi and menu API

with the comment: "Changing title as I should have done at about #63 above".

If people don't understand what it does, or if they put higher
expectations against it, it does have a lot to do with how the patch was
marketed...

Gabor