[development] RTBC - how does it work?

Jeff Eaton jeff at viapositiva.net
Mon Jul 2 02:00:32 UTC 2007

On Jul 1, 2007, at 6:47 PM, Derek Wright wrote:
> On the other hand, many of the issues that were marked "RTBC"
> probably weren't -- careful review would have found problems and a
> better patch could have been posted.

And this factor means that the core committers also have to spend
time digging deep into each RTBC patch making sure that it really
*IS* RTBC, and separating the ones that aren't. I know I'm guilty of
pushing to get premature RTBC's on some patches, in the hope that it
will get attention and get committed faster. This just leads to a
vicious cycle, though, of Dries and company having to spend more time
on each patch while the queue grows.

I think the Drupal 6 dev cycle has been frustrating for a lot of
reasons, all of which coincided at bad times. I think we can
*absolutely* look at what is going into this version and celebrate
how much awesome stuff is in it. It will be a VERY solid foundation
for contrib to build on through 2007 and 2008.

Just as we learned from the 4.7 release, though, we can learn from
this one and figure out what weak spots in our development processes
and review processes need to be shored up for the D7 cycle.

--Jeff