[development] Perm for setting RTBC - Re: RTBC - how does it work?

Augustin (Beginner) drupal.beginner at wechange.org
Mon Jul 2 12:22:23 UTC 2007

On Monday 02 July 2007 15:30, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
> > Definitely not limited to a chosen few.
>
> Well, of course anybody can set the status to rtbc. But since a core
> committer will look at who set it to that status, it will help if
> somebody does it who is known to not lightheartedly set everything to
> rtbc just because he likes the feature. It also helps if the person who
> sets the status has a known experience in the area the patch addresses.
>
> So, indeed in some sense it is limited to a few, though these aren't
> really chosen in some way.
>
> The status of a "trustworthy patch reviewer" can be earned. It is a lot
> of hard work.

Well, there is a permission for "set issue status patch (ready to commit)"
in  ?q=admin/user/access .
Why not make good use of it?

This permission should be handed out *generously* to all the reviewers who are
known to make good patch reviews.

It would weed out novice developers who set their own patch RTBC, or who don't
even know Drupal's coding style standards. But most if not all the devs who
regularly contribute in this list, and who know the implications of setting a
patch RTBC should have the right to do so.

Also, using this permission would not prevent the core commiters from using
their own standard to judge the patch and those who set it RTBC, just like
Gerhard just described.

The way I see things, is thus:
1) A coder sets his own patch PNR.
2) a novice contributor comes along, reviews the patch, and helps the coder go
through the PNR -> PNW -> PNR -> PNW -> PNR dance, until that novice
contributor declares: "I think this patch is RTBC, because...".
3) then comes a more experienced developer, who already has the perm "set
issue RTBC", she reviews the patch and finds that indeed the patch is RTBC.
4) the experienced developer sets the issue RTBC.
5) the experienced developer would necessarily have reviewed the performance
of the novice contributor (by reading the issue), and could say: "this
newbie's review performance has been very good on several issues like this
one. (to a d.o. webmaster:) Please give him the "set RTBC" perm.

By these standard, I maybe wouldn't have this permission myself, but it
doesn't prevent me from earning it later.

This is bound to *help* improving the quality of review in patches, although
common sense and usual workflow would still apply.

Blessings,

Augustin.

--
http://www.wechange.org/
Because we and the world need to change.

http://www.reuniting.info/
Intimate Relationships, peace and harmony in the couple.