[development] Perm for setting RTBC - Re: RTBC - how does it work?

Angela Byron drupal-devel at webchick.net
Mon Jul 2 14:34:03 UTC 2007

On 2-Jul-07, at 8:22 AM, Augustin (Beginner) wrote:

>> The status of a "trustworthy patch reviewer" can be earned. It is
>> a lot
>> of hard work.
>
> Well, there is a permission for "set issue status patch (ready to
> commit)"
> in  ?q=admin/user/access .
> Why not make good use of it?

The biggest argument against this that I can think of is that most of
the people who do these kinds of good patch reviews are also some of
our best developers (Jeff Eaton, chx, Moshe...). And instead of
developing new cool features for Drupal, or fixing particularly
gnarly bugs, they would now be collectively spending their time not
only reading every single issue in the queue, but also thoroughly
testing every patch in the queue, enough to give their blessing.
Giving patches a thorough testing is A LOT of work -- at least a half
an hour per patch for anything non-trivial -- and the more this is
spread around, the better.

-Angie