[development] Listen

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 06:52:43 UTC 2007

On 02 Jul 2007, at 21:05, Augustin (Beginner) wrote:
> My main point is: please do listen to people who are better known
> than I am,
> when they talk about some overdue systemic changes.

The main reason that keeps patches from getting committed faster is
the lack of good reviews.  The main challenge is to increase the
amount and the quality of patch reviews and to reduce the number of
silly "+1"s.

People posting a "+1" waste a lot of people's time -- it makes dozens
of people recheck the issue, and it does not buy you any more respect
or trust.  If we can stop posting "+1"s (or "subscribe"s for that
matter), that would save me some time, it would increase the signal
to noise ratio and it would avoid the false sense of support.

We should also change the perception that RTBC means "a core
committer needs to look at this".  When a patch is RTBC, it still
means that everyone needs to look at it, and that's part of the
reason why many patches are still in the RTBC queue.  I'll try to be
faster to send back these to the "code needs (better) review" status,
if that helps. Ultimately, this is something everyone can help with.
If a patch is in RTBC for too long, it probably means it could use
more quality reviews.

Maybe we need a 'decay feature' that sets a patch back to 'code needs
review' after 2 weeks as RTBC?

During the next couple of weeks, I'll pay close attention to my
workflow and usage patterns surrounding the issue queues.  I'll try
to gather some statistics of why patches are rejected, and how much
time is spent doing what.  How frequently do I revisit an issue, and
how often that means something useful was added to the issue?  Things
like that.  I'll also keep an eye open for things that would help us.

Automatically checking whether a patch still applies would be useful
already.