[development] String freeze

Konstantin Käfer kkaefer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 08:17:59 UTC 2007

Hi,

> Last release, we had a "string freeze" once we hit RC1. This meant
> that any clarifications/clean-ups/etc. to any user-facing text
> (help messages, form labels, etc.) were 'frozen' and couldn't be
> altered after RC1 was released, in order to give translators ample
> time to translate Drupal.

I'm all for a string freeze like the last time. Keeping the string
freeze date in mind helped us get a lot of UI text fixes in which
improved overall usability.

> b) Is RC1 enough time? If we set it at beta-2 or something would
> that allow us to include a few translations in Drupal core itself
> by RC1?

I am a translator as well (German translation) and I think it was
enough time to complete at least the most important parts of it.

I'd like to propose something else, though: While translating, I get
to read all the help text included in Drupal, and I noticed that most
of those help texts are not very well written and even include
factual errors (e.g. removed features, no mention of newly added
features etc.). I'd like to cast a kind of "user interface text team"
that especially takes care of such issues. We could for example set
up a site with Drupal 6, enable locale module and use it to modify
the english strings (english -> english "translation"). After we've
fixed those strings, we can create patches against HEAD. Not sure if
that's a good/practiable solution. Any suggestions?

Konstantin Käfer – http://kkaefer.com/