[development] String freeze

FGM fgm at osinet.fr
Tue Jul 3 10:03:20 UTC 2007

This makes me think of something that has been mentioned at various
times: couldn't we have a "default" version (which would happen to be
in english for core) and english as just one translation, which would
happen to be empty by default for core, returning the default version
?

This seems to be along the line of what you suggest by "english
translation", and would nicely fit in the overall localization scheme
by not supposing contrib modules, for instance, are by default
written with english text, but could have english as just one
location, and the default distribution would be just that: default.

There's no code involved, just a documentation choice, so it is in
time for D6. The language code for default would only have to be
anything different from the ISO 639 values (anybody for "@@" ? it
sorts before any other alpha value).