[development] features in RTBC 6.x limbo

John Wilkins drupal.user at albin.net
Tue Jul 3 18:03:25 UTC 2007

On Jul 3, 2007, at 9:26 AM, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> Quoting Dries Buytaert <dries.buytaert at gmail.com>:
>> On 03 Jul 2007, at 15:24, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>>> I suggest that in order to help make the operational style  more
>>> understandable that the wording Ready To Be Committed be  changed
>>> to Ready For Committer Review.
>>
>> Or "possibly ready to be committed"?
>
> "Possibly ready to be committed" gives a sense that the patch may
> or may not even be looked at, discussed further, given credence to
> the work and time the developer spent creating the patch.

Which is precisely what happens now. So, really, unfortunately, it's
the perfect description.

For example, (I keep mentioning this because my issue is in this
situation) there are feature requests that were:
  1.) marked as RTBC /before/ the code freeze
  2.) and had several developer reviews.

http://drupal.org/project/issues/drupal?states=14&categories=feature

It's not enough to just say "the committers were too busy to review
your code, you'll have to wait another 6 months for D7."  Until we
fix the misnamed RTBC status, there needs to be a useful, technical
reason for each RTBC feature not committed.

Otherwise, the patch will NOT improve. And many developers (like
Augustin) will give up on contributing to core over this type of thing.

I know I'm not the only one who would like some additional feedback
on those issues. But, so that I'm not seen as just complaining, I
will also give some concrete solutions to the general RTBC issue in
my next email.