[development] Node Rendering Debate

Farsheed tfarsheed at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 4 15:05:57 UTC 2007

> Ugh! is it really that hard to print_r($node) in
> your theme during
> development when you're looking for a var?
>
> I personally think the print_r(object structure) is
> much easier to deal
> with than having to get_defined_vars, which is
> normally a big
> interesting mess.

Print_r is a fine way to see what variables are
*available*.  How to assign or create new variables
and make that data available to the theme is an
entirely separate and more complicated issue.  And
that involves knowing what is literally available from
drupal to assign.  It often leads to having to code
dive into someone elses module to figure out how to
get the information you need to print out.

A UI could help the themer have access to more data
from other parts of Drupal and format it the way they
want.

I think saying that print_r solves the problem is
oversimplifying the issue.  We should think about this
some more.