[development] Node Rendering Debate

Jeff Eaton jeff at viapositiva.net
Wed Jul 4 16:38:29 UTC 2007

Alternately, we can simply instruct people to build their
presentation data drupal_render()able structures, then pass them on
to the theming layer, where the are collapsed into strings or exposed
as complex structures depending on the application.

Drupal has too many nooks and crannies were the same data is stored
and accessed in completely, counter-intuitively different ways.
Layering another vocabulary, another set of mapped variables, another
slice of metaphor and abastraction, on top of the current models is
not IMO a solution.

That's one of the reasons that I think any real solution will overlap
with the node object's internal structure, our APIs for outputting
different formats (JSON, XML, HTML, etc) as well as our rendering and
theming systems. Our goal must be to make the system more consistent
and flexible, to eliminate special cases and edge-case exceptions.

--Jeff