[development] Temp file conflicts

James Walker walkah at walkah.net
Fri Jul 6 02:06:01 UTC 2007

On 7/5/07 5:26 PM, Darren Oh wrote:
> On Jul 5, 2007, at 5:18 PM, Boris Mann wrote:
>
>> Um. No. It really is temporary. The file gets removed by the
>> operations that happen. They are temporary files.....
>
> Enough "Um"s! I respect your contributions to Drupal, but you seem to be
> the only person who thinks this is an unreasonable feature.

I think part of the problem is that you're using /tmp in a way that is
not entirely intended. From PHP's perspective - /tmp is only for things
that last a single invocation (i.e. single HTTP request).

I think, if you're going to use system-wide temp space, you need to
realize that and look at something like: http://ca3.php.net/tempnam and
read about proper temp space usage.

Otherwise, follow the other suggestions about using per-site temp space
and then clean up after yourself.

James Walker :: http://walkah.net/ :: xmpp:walkah at walkah.net