[development] associate dates to nodes

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Mon Jul 9 16:04:14 UTC 2007

Op maandag 09 juli 2007, schreef Moshe Weitzman:
> A room can only be booked 365 times a year. Thats hardly a problem for
> the lifetime of a hotel (not to mention the lifetime of a web app).

Anyone who has tried to scale the noderef UI beyond merely 'clipping some test
data together' will have seen that selectlists with 10.000+ nodes don't go
well together. autofills hardly wotk for such models either, since they
depend on unique titles.

Indeed, if you think only one year ahead, that is what you will get: 365
reservations. That might scale, depending on the types of lists and so on.

However, a conference room might be reservated several times a day, resulting
in possibly 1.000+ dates. I don't know if noderef improved its #load
mechanism, but last time I looked it would load all its data in (teaser)
views et al. And loading 1000 nodes for each node-view, in RSS feeds (with 20
nodes), or teaser lists, will mean you do a 20*1000 = 20.000 node loads for a
simple RSS feed!

That is what I mean with not scaling.

Disclaimer: I have recently thought out a date/event calender for films (which
have a similar model of one film/with multiple playtimes). and I looked at
the options with pure CCK fields. Its a few weeks ago; and I did not develop
anything yet. However, we chose not to use CCK because of above scethces
problems.

Bèr
--
Drupal, Ruby on Rails and Joomla! development: webschuur.com | Drupal hosting:
www.sympal.nl