[development] Question about Drupal performance

Anton anton.list at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 01:44:08 UTC 2007

On 10/07/07, Ashraf Amayreh <mistknight at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I was actually disturbed when I saw this as my host is a VPS host that uses
> OpenVZ. So I did a little search and I'm not so sure this statement is
> accurate, not that I really care, but I'd rather be getting the best option
> for my money so I thought I'd point this benchmark out.
>
>  http://community.livejournal.com/openvz/14024.html

One thing I noticed about that benchmark (I only had a quick glance)
is that while OpenVZ seemed to handily beat Xen on the low level
synthetic benchmarks, Xen seemed to equalise or even slightly beat
OpenVZ on the higher level benchmark (siege). You really need to
benchmark your actual applications (eg MySQL, Apache, PHP etc) to get
worthwhile data.

Also Khalid probably used a more recent version of Xen than the one in
the OpenVZ benchmark. They used Xen 3.0.2 which was a pretty early
immature version of Xen 3.x. Xen 3.1 is supposed to be faster than
3.0.x was.

--
Cheers
Anton