[development] Question about Drupal performance

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Tue Jul 10 06:08:13 UTC 2007

On Monday 09 July 2007, Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:

> > Because Drupal uses a lot of queries, it will be slow on shared hosts
> > that lump together lots of sites and their databases, or on sites that
> > have no PHP accelerators.
>
> Thanks, I see. Is there anyting one can do to improve the situation when
> one has a Drupal site on a shared host (except turning on Drupal caching)?

One of the things we're doing for Drupal 6 is to refactor how the code is
organized to allow it to load a lot less code per page load.  The early
benchmarks showed a considerable benefit from that.  I still need to go
through and split up the rest of core, but I expect Drupal 6 will be a lot
faster than Drupal 5 on non-opcode-cache sites.

When in Drupal 5, as others have said be mindful of what you install.  Many
larger modules have separate "admin" and "normal" modules.  Views is a
natural example, where there are in fact 3 modules involved, only one of
which is needed for Views to function.  The other two are just for
administrative functions, and will be very rarely needed once the site is
launched.  Turn those off, as well as any others that do a lot of database
activity on every page (eg, statistics and tracker).

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson