[development] Question about Drupal performance

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Jul 10 13:22:20 UTC 2007

On 7/10/07, J-P Stacey <jp.stacey at torchbox.com> wrote:

> We've just launched a new Drupal site on our server and it didn't even
> register a blip on the server load. Page loading is reasonable, according
> Firebug - less than a second, but the site is quite image-heavy. We've had
> it down to less than half a second on low-image pages, which is higher
> than
> Khalid's quoted 100-300ms, but then we've not done any optimization apart
> from turning non-aggressive cacheing on. If we had a large community site
> then we'd have to look into that.

To clarify, my statement was on server side PHP page generation time, as
measured by the devel module, not the browser full page loading time. They
are very different things.

For example, a single image node on a busy site with a few comments gives
this
when the devel module is enabled:

Executed 168 queries in 201.84 milliseconds. Page execution time was 242.51ms.

This means 41 ms for PHP, which is very good (powerful CPU, tuned system,
accelator, ...etc.)

The home page has 30 node teasers, and takes more to load:

Executed 553 queries in 572.01 milliseconds. Page execution time was 771.64.
More queries, and more PHP processing, but still good.

The browser load time includes images, CSS, JS, and all the other baggage
that
are on the pages (e.g. loading ads from third party server, logging
statistics (e.g.
analytics).
--
2bits.com