[development] Question about Drupal performance

Lennart Borgman (gmail) lennart.borgman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 14:12:13 UTC 2007

J-P Stacey wrote:
> One option for a hosting company is to run their own core Drupal system,
> with each customer being able to edit the contents of a subdirectory in
> the sites/ directory. That way they can keep control over much of the
> behaviour, keep it patched, remove CPU-hungry bits at their own
> discretion etc. I've not heard of anyone doing this yet, though.

Thanks J-P.

I have always wondered why an installation like that is not the standard
for shared web hosts. A problem is perhaps incompatibilities at when
upgrading, but that could be solved by having the customer specific part
pointing to a special location. When the web host upgrades Drupal (and
other similar software) they could just do a fresh install in a new
location.

At the web host I am currently using they do not handle Drupal,
WordPress etc that way (which surprised me a lot when I first saw it).
Does Drupal have builtin support for this installation structure?