[development] Question about Drupal performance

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Jul 10 14:36:08 UTC 2007

On 7/10/07, Lennart Borgman (gmail) <lennart.borgman at gmail.com> wrote:

> J-P Stacey wrote:
> > One option for a hosting company is to run their own core Drupal system,
> > with each customer being able to edit the contents of a subdirectory in
> > the sites/ directory. That way they can keep control over much of the
> > behaviour, keep it patched, remove CPU-hungry bits at their own
> > discretion etc. I've not heard of anyone doing this yet, though.
>
> Thanks J-P.
>
> I have always wondered why an installation like that is not the standard
> for shared web hosts. A problem is perhaps incompatibilities at when
> upgrading, but that could be solved by having the customer specific part
> pointing to a special location. When the web host upgrades Drupal (and
> other similar software) they could just do a fresh install in a new
> location.
>
> At the web host I am currently using they do not handle Drupal,
> WordPress etc that way (which surprised me a lot when I first saw it).
> Does Drupal have builtin support for this installation structure?

Specialized hosts (e.g. Bryght) does that already (have their own repository
and sanctioned modules.

However, most shared web hosts are small operations, or simply not into
maintaining code of any kind. They are motel operators, not caterers,
builders,
or engineers. If they do this for Drupal, they have to do it for 100 other
things
their customers ask for.

This is why there are things like Fantastico, which provides this feature
for web
hosts, and they subscribe to it and give it to their customers as a feature.

So, don't expect any shared host to do this any time soon.
--
2bits.com
http://2bits.com