[development] update module

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Wed Jul 11 16:32:01 UTC 2007

On Jul 11, 2007, at 8:48 AM, Sean Robertson wrote:

> How will the version in Drupal 6 work for people who install Drupal
> directly from d.o CVS?  The current contrib module doesn't help at
> all (cvs_deploy doesn't seem to tie into it in anyway so it's not
> even useful to install update status).

a) You really must read http://drupal.org/node/124661

b) CVS deploy does interact with update(_status?) module just fine
(there are both 5.x and 6.x compatible versions).  The point is that
dev snapshots are inherently difficult for update(_status?) to do
anything with.  So, if you deploy from CVS, checkout from official
release tags, and then update(_status?) will work just fine.  That's
what (a) is about.

c) If you're deploying from a branch, not an official release tag,
I'd like to find a way to make cvs_deploy smart enough to somehow
know the date that you last checked out, and use that as if it was
the 'datestamp' entry in the project's .info file.  It's comparing
the datestamp in the .info file with the filedate in the available
updates data that update(_status?) can tell you if a dev snapshot is
out of date.  I *think* I could fake it by checking the modification
time on CVS/Entries:
http://drupal.org/node/158526

d) People who care about the future of cvs_deploy module should help
convince Dries to commit my follow-up patch to fix
hook_system_info_alter() here:
http://drupal.org/node/152926

Cheers,
-Derek