[development] Drupal.org problems

Jeff Griffiths anisotropic at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 17:02:12 UTC 2007

On 7/10/07, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
> On 7/10/07, Gerhard Killesreiter <gerhard at killesreiter.de> wrote:
> > Tony Guntharp schrieb:
> > > Is there any reason why we're using APC and not eAccelerator or XCache?
> > > I've used all 3 in different production environment and APC has
> > > generally caused issues.
> >
> > When we initially set it up, eAccelerator seemed dead and XCache
> > probably wasn't around yet.
> >
> > I'll raise the issue to try the others.
> >

> eAccelerator is not dead. I use it on several sites and it works well.
> Performance
> is 13% better than APC, and it saves far more memory per Apache process than
> APC as well.
>
> Still some segfaults in certain combinations.

Depends on what you're using in your APC configuration, but generaly
eAccelerator seems to perform a bit better than APC currently. In our
experience APC has never crashed though ( php 5.1.6 FC6 ), and there
are a number of things we can do to optimize it still, for example
changing the locking strategy from file locks to spin locks like
FaceBook does.

JeffG