[development] d.o performance and update_status (was Re: Forum module bug challenge)

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Tue Jul 24 22:31:36 UTC 2007

On Jul 24, 2007, at 10:53 AM, FGM wrote:

> I've been wondering about the apparent increase in downtime
> since update_status started to be widespread: is there any way to
> check
> whether it is responsible for a significant part of the increased
> server
> load ?

The overwhelming majority of the d.o downtime has been from a slammed
DB server.  For the server side of update(_status?).module, the DB is
only touched once every 6 hours to regenerate the .xml files for the
release history for each project.  These queries don't show up in the
top N list of most expensive queries on the DB server.  To actually
serve the history, there's no Drupal bootstrap at all, just an ultra-
thin PHP wrapper.

So, to answer your question: "Yes, we checked.  No, it's not
responsible at all".

Cheers,
-Derek (dww)