[development] using UID 1 (was Re: Overriding node_db_rewrite_sql())

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Thu Jul 26 14:04:30 UTC 2007

On 7/26/07, Ken Rickard <agentrickard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Development testing should never be done as user #1 unless testing
> installation or update routines.  In fact, nothing but install and update
> should be done as user #1.
>
> See http://drupal.org/node/22284

I see your point here about how it has been confusing to Ron that uid1
could see everything, but I'm not sure I follow the rest of the logic.
 To me, I don't see a problem with using uid1.  I know lots of folks
feel strongly about this, but there's also a prominent case[1] or
two[2] of smart people doing otherwise.  There is even the whole
masquerade code in the devel module which makes it easy to switch
between uid1 and a normal user during development to facilitate Ron's
exact situation.

Just yesterday I edited bullet item 1 on 22284 to include all of the
arguments on this issue that I was able to glean from the folks that
were in IRC when I was digging into the issue.  Given that
investigation and rewrite, I don't understand the strength of the
"don't use uid 1" argument.

So, if folks feel strongly one way or another could they please edit
that page (or respond here) with some of the reasons why you should
"never use user #1".

If you're going to say "for the same reasons as you never use root on
unix" then please take the time to enumerate those reasons - I'm not
sure I believe that comparison so having the list of reasons would
help the discussion.

Regards,
Greg

[1] http://drupal.org/user/1