[development] Overriding node_db_rewrite_sql()

Ron Parker sysop at scbbs.com
Thu Jul 26 22:57:35 UTC 2007

Dave Cohen wrote:

>On Thursday 26 July 2007 10:48, Ron Parker wrote:
>[snip]
>

>>So, my question is: Why is this hook_db_rewrite_sql code in a custom
>>module creating a circumstance where views no longer work as user #1
>>when the same code does NOT create this problem when replacing the
>>node_db_rewrite_sql function in the node.module?
>>

>Sounds like the node.module code is granting access, where your code is not.
>Look for enties with realm 'all' in the node_access table.

Actually, it was the exact opposite: My new code was granting access.  I
resolved it by adding code that exempts user #1 (or any user with
"administer nodes" permission).

>>I'm ThisClose to making this all work after several months of banging my
>>head against the wall, so any suggestions are much appreciated.  Thanks!
>>

>My suggestions are: 1) Install devel module and enable the query log.  Look at
>the exact SQL that is the result of all the rewriting.  And 2) Enable
>devel_node_access and see what it has to say.  And of course 3) debug your
>problem.

I did install devel module.  Thanks for the suggestion.

>I'm also going to reiterate what Moshe said earlier.  Think long and hard
>before implementing your own hook_db_rewrite_sql.  The grant hooks can do
>quite a lot for you.  Sounds like you may know what you're doing - I don't
>mean to imply that you don't.

Again, you are right.  I actually used the hook_node_access_records() in
another module to create the exact permission grants I needed for
private access to work without hook_db_rewrite_sql().  Problem here is
I've not though through a way to grant permissions that take into
account OG, TAC and Content Access (CA) access control.

I can assure you I take everything you suggest as an effort to help, and
apprecite it as such.  Using the node access API is a much better way to
go, no question about it.  I just have not figured out how to do it as
efficiently or effectively as I have with hook_nodeapi and
hook_db_rewrite_sql.

Thanks for all the help!

-ron

--