[development] #drupal / #drupal-dev split considered harmful

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Tue Jul 31 23:16:32 UTC 2007

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 18:52:06 -0400, "Khalid Baheyeldin" <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:

>> So please, #drupal-dev goers, either finish what you started by
>> actively working in #drupal to make it more newbie-friendly, or
>> abandon the experiment. So far, this feels like a net loss for the
>> community.
>>
>> -Angie
>>

> Seems the main issue is that this "fork" was not discussed widely enough
> in the community.
>
> How about repurposing or a charter change of #drupal vs. #drupal-dev?
>
> #drupal-dev would be for purely development talk, and #drupal for
> everything
> drupal (except support), including infrastructure, ...etc.
>
> How about getting a discussion going this time on what to do?

I have no super-strong preference either way at this point; I was only in one round of the "what is drupal for" debates and I didn't really care enough to start a second.  However, I do favor not having a multitude of "core" #drupal-* channels.  I know there's a bunch that I already don't go to; I don't know what I'm missing there. :-)  I really don't want to have to lurk in 3 channels to get the full set.  Two is enough.

So whatever happens, #drupal should either be for support or development.  Having both a separate support and separate development channel doesn't really make sense to me.  Which we have, at this point, I don't really care, but let's only have one or the other.

--Larry Garfield