[development] #drupal / #drupal-dev split considered harmful

Addison Berry addi at rocktreesky.com
Tue Jul 31 23:16:36 UTC 2007

Well a large part of my resistance is simply that this wasn't
discussed at all in the community. IF this is a direction that we are
moving in then I think it needs discussion and letting people know
about it.  Of course it won't change if people don't even know about
it.  It has the *feeling* of being an exclusive "in the club" thing.
Of course, publicizing it means that newbies will just start to come
there to get their questions answered, especially if no one is
helping them in #drupal.

I'm still of the thought that having a separate dev channel is
unnecessary.  I understand that having a "quiet" place that only
"devs" know about can be a comfortable place to go, but Drupal is a
community as much as it is a group of coders.  I feel like this
should be a community decision and if it is decided as such, then the
community can help with the transition rather than just mysteriously
splitting.  As it stands now I feel like this is causing way more
damage than good.

- Addi