[development] Google Gears

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Sat Jun 2 23:52:23 UTC 2007

On 6/1/07, Scott Trudeau <strudeau at umich.edu> wrote:

> Right.  But what happens when a user on the live site adds a new node
> at the same time I add a new node on the local copy and the node id
> conflicts?  What happens if a user edits a node on the live site that
> I also edit on the local copy?  And that's without getting in to more
> comples site configuration syncing issues ...
>
> Not impossible, but trickier than it might seem.
>
> And on this same thread, a quick proof-of-concept by a Wordpress
> developer for syncing Wordpress content offline using Google Gears:
>

> http://blog.assembleron.com/2007/05/31/google-gears-caching-of-wordpress-in-php/

I attended Google Developer day and sat through most of the Google Data API,
Mash-up sessions.  They resolve conflicts using Optimistic Concurrency.
Their API is completely REST so it's something we could also implement in
Drupal.

http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/reference.html#Optimistic-concurrency

I assume that Gears makes use of this data API to resolve these issues.

Cheers,
Kieran

Scott

--
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.