[development] Fun CCK idea.

David Metzler metzlerd at metzlerd.com
Sun Jun 3 23:44:34 UTC 2007

And speaking of itches, I've always been a little bothered by the
fact that flexinode and CKK store there data in generic tables. .

I've been thinking that you could combine the data API project with
these and use a "convention" based approach where all of these nodes
were stored in regular tables, one per node type, more like the old
way contribs used to extend nodes.

In this approach, adding fields would execute DDL not DML for the
storage mechanism.  I realize that this is a radical approach, but it
opens the door to more scalability.  (e.g. You could add indexes for
a content type to make views go faster if they were queried
frequently.   And it means that you're data can be altered via
programattically via normal SQL.

The field definition tables would still be the same.

So my question is, has this been considered?  Anyone know where I
might find the pro/con discussion.  I'd love to contribute to such a
project if it were likely to be considered favorably.