[development] directory handling (after the great file API)

Vladimir Zlatanov vlado at dikini.net
Mon Jun 4 14:03:43 UTC 2007

> do you think it would be useful to store directories in DB?
> is it a core thing or should it be in a contributed module?
> anybody working on it?

Depends what you are after

The core fileapi doesn't care. All it wants to know is where to put and
manipulate your file. Actually it doesn't touch the database at all.

update.mpdule in core does have a single sink directory, so it doesn't care
about directory structures in db or the filesystem

There are many modules in contrib which do one way or another. Depends on
your needs. There were a lot of debates what is the right way to do it, but
it seems there isn't a single solution to satisfy all your needs.

http://drupal.org/project/webfm is one such solution.

I'm working on a different one, with a different focus.
http://drupal.org/project/docs

There is a GSOC project focused on this topic.

There are more modules, just check out the file management section in
modules

Make your pick.