[development] directory handling (after the great file API)

ufuk bayburt ufukbay at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 16:24:24 UTC 2007

Not seeking for a module.
Actually i'm working on a ftp-like file browser and i wonder if the
file browsing could be possible by just querying the DB. Drupal DB has
the files but not the directories.

What i was thinking about is a {directories} table and an additional
"directory" field in {files} table in order to get the files per
directory. We should also change the file_check_directory() function
to make it insert the directories it creates to the DB.

With the current file management in drupal a file browser gets files
from DB and requires to scan all files and folders by a physical disk
access in order to get directories only. A physical disk access plus a
DB hit! I cant think of any other way.

That's why i think we need a directories table. There is no module
solution since core and other modules uses the file_check_directory
function(which needs to be modified) to create their directories. And
a module implementing this, will require an additional table for the
files-folders relation.

What do you think?
Darrel?