[development] One-to-one tables considered harmful

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jun 4 17:02:40 UTC 2007

Quoting Robert Douglass <rob at robshouse.net>:

> Earnie Boyd wrote:
>>
>> I have been reading the posts and wondering what is so different
>> about a comment.  A comment is nothing more than content very much
>> similar to a node.  As content it has a specialized content type
>> which at the moment isn't visible to the administrator.  So, I think
>> to myself that perhaps a comment should be treated as a node and the
>> comment table is nothing more than a one to many relationship
>> mapper.  I'll give this some more thought toward D-7 I can see this
>> idea as enhancing many modules.
>
> Please to check out the nodecomment module which does just what you
> describe: http://drupal.org/project/nodecomment

Sounds like a starting place to add functionality to the core comment
module.  Since nodecomment is a replacement for the current comment
module maybe it even makes sense to just replace it with nodecomment;
renaming nodecomment to comment of course.  I would like to hear from
Dries on this idea.  I don't see why we need a special table for
comment content when we already have a building block for content
wrapped up in a node.  We only need to map child nids to a parent nid.

Earnie