[development] One-to-one tables considered harmful

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jun 5 19:00:28 UTC 2007

Quoting David Strauss <david at fourkitchens.com>:

> Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> Quoting Robert Douglass <rob at robshouse.net>:
>>
>>> Not many people are addressing David's actual technical argument about
>>> sorting and writing temporary tables and file sorting. So far his
>>> argument has made perfect sense to me, and I would not begrudge seeing
>>> a comment count column in the node table. I am glad Dries sees this as
>>> well.
>>
>> I agree that this makes sense for the time being; we can redesign it
>> later in D7.
>
> Maybe that will give you time to learn why we have the current approach
> and why I'm slightly modifying that approach for performance.

I am excitedly looking at just that.  Yes performance matters as does
elegance in coding or an API.

> Sorry for my snarky tone, but it comes off as quite rude to say, "Oh, I
> guess we'll just replace your hard work with my ideas /next/ version,"
> when you haven't provided anything more than some abstract wishes about
> comments being nodes.

Please accept my apologies for offending you; it wasn't intended.  You
have good ideas, my comments weren't meant to flame you.

> Why don't you just use Robert Douglass's module and see if it suits your
> needs? I'm sure it's well-written.

As I have already said, Robert's module is a good starting point for my
ideas and I will be looking into it.

Earnie