[development] Go PHP 5, Go!

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Thu Jun 7 03:41:11 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 06 June 2007, Vivek Puri wrote:

> Now there's another catch there. Its far easier to
> upgrade the PHP/Apache than OS. Lets see:
> 1 ) Most people manage their servers remotely even
> people who pay for dedicated servers. So upgrading PHP
> means if it goes wrong I am still logged on to my
> server and can revert back. If I upgrade my OS and it
> goes wrong I am stuck and it goes out of my control as
> most people cant install OS remotely.
> 2 ) Most production server will be Ok with upgrading
> PHP/Apache as its still application than upgrading the
> OS. You can always have php4 & php5 installed on same
> machine.
> 3 ) RHEL5/CentOS5 have recently been launched and
> there are issue with stability. So most people will
> wait till its stabilized before upgrading. So as I
> understand new servers may use RHEL5/CentOS5 older
> servers are in no rush to upgrade.
>
> Now even if RHEL5 becomes prominent platform we are
> again stuck with PHP 5.1 , while we are planning to
> target PHP 5.2 .
>
> So Jonathan is right that we are moving at pace of
> RedHat.  Although I am in full favor of move to php
> 5.2 soon but hosting companies, which rely on "yum
> update" for maintaining their servers, wont come on
> board esily.

OS upgrades aren't really a concern for us.  We're just interested in the PHP
version.

Although Red Hat's latest version ships 5.1.6 by default, that version
apparently had some nasty bugs anyway from what I have heard.  I think the
most telling data, though, is this:

http://www.nexen.net/chiffres_cles/phpversion/16987-php_stats_evolution_for_april_2007.php

See the last chart especially.  A month ago, 5.2 was already within spitting
distance of surpassing 5.1 installations, and 5.1 is in slight decline.  By
next February, at that rate it should have a healthy chunk of the market
already, even without us pushing.  Not enough that we could abandon PHP 4
without pushing, but enough that it's a safe target, I believe.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson