[development] Go PHP 5, Go!

Vivek Puri crystalcube at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 7 03:32:42 UTC 2007

> The CentOS team is pleased to announce the
> availability of CentOS 5.0. Major changes in CentOS
> 5 compared to CentOS 4 include:
>
> These updated software versions: Apache-2.2,
> php-5.1.6
>
> ... RHEL 5 has moved all the way up to PHP 5.1.6
> from RHEL 4's mere PHP 4.3.9
>
> We are getting there.

Now there's another catch there. Its far easier to
upgrade the PHP/Apache than OS. Lets see:
1 ) Most people manage their servers remotely even
people who pay for dedicated servers. So upgrading PHP
means if it goes wrong I am still logged on to my
server and can revert back. If I upgrade my OS and it
goes wrong I am stuck and it goes out of my control as
most people cant install OS remotely.
2 ) Most production server will be Ok with upgrading
PHP/Apache as its still application than upgrading the
OS. You can always have php4 & php5 installed on same
machine.
3 ) RHEL5/CentOS5 have recently been launched and
there are issue with stability. So most people will
wait till its stabilized before upgrading. So as I
understand new servers may use RHEL5/CentOS5 older
servers are in no rush to upgrade.

Now even if RHEL5 becomes prominent platform we are
again stuck with PHP 5.1 , while we are planning to
target PHP 5.2 .

So Jonathan is right that we are moving at pace of
RedHat.  Although I am in full favor of move to php
5.2 soon but hosting companies, which rely on "yum
update" for maintaining their servers, wont come on
board esily.