[development] hook_help() vs $section for Drupal 6

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Fri Jun 8 13:24:19 UTC 2007

Hi,

In an unrelated issue, we found that hook_help($section) gets called
with the menu key now. So

  - if you have a "node/%node/edit", you get this in the help hook
  - if you have a "node", (which gets called with node/$nid too
    obviously), you don't get the $nid in the help hook

The argument for this is that it is easy to provide broad help texts.
The arguments against is obviously that it is very hard to provide
focused help texts (like it is impossible to provide help text for a
block configuration page based on $section alone).

A couple of ideas popped up from Peter Wolanin and myself, so we only
need to pick up the right one :)

  1. Pass on $_GET['q'] simply to hook_help(). This makes it harder
     to provide a broad help text, as you would need to preg the
     dynamic parts out yourself.

  2. Pass on both $_GET['q'] and the menu key to hook_help(). This
     would allow for both, if you wish. $section would become
     $path and $menu_key or something along the lines.

  3. Pass on the whole menu item structure which has even more
     details. For people who would like to customize their help
     even more (although I am not sure what else can be used from
     the menu there).

Now what is left is to pick one of these up, or suggest something
better, so I can prepare a patch, and we can get this fixed soon.

Gabor