[development] Use revisions to replace previews

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Fri Jun 8 14:34:29 UTC 2007

> Not only that, but I have visions of a database full of trivial or even
> identical node revisions. For example, what if the user changes only the
> taxonomy selections and then previews the node? All those DB queries and
> extra data in the table, for nothing. Or they change a bit of HTML formatting
> and preview, trying several times to get it just right. The user may have
> only worked for a couple of minutes, so what's the value in preserving all those

This is pretty much the way I work - I could easily spend 30 previews
before I finish what I consider my first draft of a node. I would hate
to waste 30 revisions (and the overhead) for stuff like that.

Likewise, I tend to think this is a semantic breakdown - when I
"preview" something, I am doing so because I want to see what WILL
happen IF I saved/the data. The revised change breaks this meaning,
making it more a "save and re-edit" button, not "preview".

--
Morbus Iff ( anything else in the box, pandora? )
aim: akaMorbus / skype: morbusiff / icq: 2927491 / jabber.org: morbus