[development] Module naming conventions (was Re: Naming the CVS abstraction module)

Chris Johnson cxjohnson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 10:16:09 UTC 2007

> On Jun 10, 2007, at 10:26 AM, Derek Wright wrote:
>
> > 2) Drupal hates CamelCapsToSeparateWords, so we have to use
> > underscores_to_separate_words, unless you really expect everyone to
> > be able to understand nothingtoseparatewords.

CamelCase can get really out of hand, but I hate typing underscores
with a passion.  It's in a really weak (and worse, sometimes variable)
location on the keyboard.  I'm a touch typist -- I can scream along as
long as I stay out of the symbols.  But having to type - or _ between
letters really ticks me off, because then I spend 10-20% of my time
correcting mistakes.

I don't know what the solution is, but the choices seem to be between
bad and worse.  :-(

I blame it on IBM or whoever it was that "popularized" the mistaken
idea that a computer keyboard should have a caps lock key in the same
location as a manual typewriter, instead of the proper control key
that was there before the masses started using computers.  It's a
conspiracy, man!  :-)

The best argument I've heard so far is to make it easier for
non-native English speakers.
Usnativeshavenoproblematallreadingthiskindofstuff.