[development] Requiring node revisions

Vladimir Zlatanov vlado at dikini.net
Mon Jun 11 10:26:01 UTC 2007

> We gain:
> - a very straightforward of saving drafts
> - the equivalent of Angie's revision moderation - in core
> - easier programming API
> - less cluttered UI
> - improved preview workflow

Better performance and we would gain better concurrent edits behaviour. At
least the state of the data will be consistent.

INSERT only is far simpler, and allows you to actually reason about what is
in your db.

cron driven garbage collection, regardless whether it is time based, or some
cut-off number or both is simple and fast. It will simplify a lot not only
core, but the logic of various 'relations' modules.

Introducing a node garbage collector, might require some kind of labelling,
so that essential revisions are kept. If this is done out of your face, when
I actually require it, it will be a beneficial feature.

Overall ++ for this. Dries has a point that we need to be able to keep the
basic user happy.
It could simply mean - automatic log messages, automatic revisions,
automatic garbage collection, with reasonable default presets. For advanced
usage, you will need to configure your site anyway, so it is better you go
through the settings.

I spend a lot of time worrying about performance, yet this change
> doesn't concern me.

It might  actually improve performance. On lightweight sites, there won't be
any real difference. On heavy sites, There will be small peaks, on garbage
collector runs, but the overall load should reduce. In theory. In the worst
case, the performance will be the same. If you want to analyse the
performance, you can go through the garbage collection vs reference counting
arguments. This is the same, but for db.