[development] Requiring node revisions

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Fri Jun 8 14:19:55 UTC 2007

On Friday 08 June 2007, Derek Wright wrote:
> On Jun 7, 2007, at 10:46 PM, Larry Garfield wrote:
> > Sounds like we're in complete agreement then. :-)
>
> I disagree with both of you! ;)
>
> I think we should always keep all revisions by default (even if we
> hide most of the UI to see/use them), and make site admins who think
> they want them off go out of their way to prune/disable them.  The
> performance cost is negligible except for sites that care enough
> about performance to know their way around a few admin UI screens.
> The potential usability benefits of being able to say "oh yeah, just
> enable core's diff.module and grant some revision permissions to your
> editor role, and you'll be able to see all the changes anyone ever
> made to any of the nodes on your site".
>
> -Derek

That may be fine for a default setup, but if I for whatever reason *don't*
want revisions saved (does it matter why?) for a given node type, I should be
able to make that happen without scheduling a block of time every Friday
afternoon to go through and manually delete them, and I should be able to do
it without dipping into contrib.  That is a complete and total waste of my
time.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012