[development] PHP 5 > aggregator.module rewrite to XML API?

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Mon Jun 18 16:03:48 UTC 2007

> I'm all for pushing PHP5, but I'm not sure I want to take such an
> extreme stance.  As I mentioned in my blog post, let's start by
> making some features PHP5 only.  Like, let's rewrite the aggregator
> module with PHP5's simplified XML parser API.  That's disruptive too,
> but at least we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot, rather than

I'm against this, personally - I'd much rather see us standardize around
an external library like SimplePie. RSS and Atom parsers are a very very
complicated thing, and our parsing issue queue is quite indicative of
that. I'd much rather use a library that is /dedicated/ to that task
then the parser we currently have.

What if, instead of rewriting aggregator, we simply shove it out of core
(ala archive.module) and recommend people use something like Feed Parser
or SimpleFeed, both of which use and require SimplePie, both require a
healthy dose of loving, and both offer a much stronger API?

--
Morbus Iff ( my name is legion, for we are many... )
aim: akaMorbus / skype: morbusiff / icq: 2927491 / jabber.org: morbus