[development] PHP 5 > aggregator.module rewrite to XML API?

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Mon Jun 18 16:19:06 UTC 2007

On 6/18/07, Morbus Iff <morbus at disobey.com> wrote:

> > I'm all for pushing PHP5, but I'm not sure I want to take such an
> > extreme stance.  As I mentioned in my blog post, let's start by
> > making some features PHP5 only.  Like, let's rewrite the aggregator
> > module with PHP5's simplified XML parser API.  That's disruptive too,
> > but at least we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot, rather than

Dries *was* just using that as an example....but you're right, it's probably
about time to bang the drum about this...again.

I'm against this, personally - I'd much rather see us standardize around
> an external library like SimplePie. RSS and Atom parsers are a very very
> complicated thing, and our parsing issue queue is quite indicative of
> that. I'd much rather use a library that is /dedicated/ to that task
> then the parser we currently have.

 +1. And lo, the discussion from many years continues.

What if, instead of rewriting aggregator, we simply shove it out of core
> (ala archive.module) and recommend people use something like Feed Parser
> or SimpleFeed, both of which use and require SimplePie, both require a
> healthy dose of loving, and both offer a much stronger API?

Neither one of those modules is a suitable replacement for aggregator in
core (both do feeds-as-nodes and feed-items-as-nodes ... which is great /
necessary for some use cases, but bad for others).

See http://groups.drupal.org/node/4624 --> Aggregation API  as a GSOC
project.

Side note: core needs love. It needs your love, and everyone's love. Views
in core, more of CCK in core, improved / re-factored / API-ized aggregator
-- etc. etc. etc. Oh yes, it also needs testing love, issue queue review
love, documentation love. Where's the love?

--
Boris Mann
Office 604-682-2889