[development] PHP 5 > aggregator.module rewrite to XML API?

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Mon Jun 18 16:53:57 UTC 2007

On 6/18/07, Morbus Iff <morbus at disobey.com> wrote:

> > Neither one of those modules is a suitable replacement for aggregator in
> > core (both do feeds-as-nodes and feed-items-as-nodes ... which is great
> > / necessary for some use cases, but bad for others).
>
> Not entirely true - the Feed Parser module does have an "items as
> aggregator.module" module, but it has fallen into disrepair. I plan to
> fix that up for my own needs.

Urgh. Double Urgh. The Feed Parser stuck in 4.7 for which there are now
better options :(  -- /me laments for the non-convergence of forces around
aggregation.

> Side note: core needs love. It needs your love, and everyone's love.
> > Views in core, more of CCK in core, improved / re-factored / API-ized
> > aggregator -- etc. etc. etc. Oh yes, it also needs testing love, issue
> > queue review love, documentation love. Where's the love?
>
> Is this intended at me? I can scratch only my own itches nowadays.

No. it's intended at everyone. Just a "feeling" I'm getting.

> +1. And lo, the discussion from many years continues.
>
> Unfortunately, yes. Can you sum up why it's never settled?

Dries wrote the parser functions originally to spec, and loves a challenge
:P

Stuff like Magpie was not really very pretty code in the past, so the whole
"we can likely do this better" as well the great XMLRPC external library
scare. These days, SimplePie is pretty solid.

Other than that....no one has tackled it with actual code.

--
Boris Mann
Office 604-682-2889