[development] Go PHP 5, Go!

Robert Douglass rob at robshouse.net
Tue Jun 19 10:19:58 UTC 2007

This is not the time to be timid. We as developers know deep in our
hearts that PHP5 is the best thing for Drupal. The amazing resonance
that Larry and I have been receiving from the developers on other
projects shows that we're not alone in thinking this.

A PHP5 based Drupal 7 will not cut off the upgrade path of anybody.
Let's be honest about upgrading Drupal. If you follow the instructions
then you have to be able to export your database (and potentially import
it later if you screw things up) and be able to backup the files on your
file system, potentially replacing them if the upgrade fails. These are
coincidentally the same steps that are needed to migrate your Drupal
site to a new web host. There are already plenty of web hosts that
support PHP5. Anybody who doesn't have the skills to migrate to one is
fairly unlikely to ever upgrade their Drupal installation anyway.

We have a chance right now to act in unison with a majority of the
meaningful PHP based FOSS projects. This is an action that has no
precedent. Never before have we all spoken with one voice in a
coordinated way. I feel that failing to take a position of strong
leadership based on what we believe is best for our software is the shot
in the head, not the other way around.

-Robert